Located at 10km away from the center of Chengdu which is the capital of Sichuan Province, Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding, or simply Chengdu Panda Base attracts millions of panda lovers to come as the closest and most convenient panda base to Chengdu. Visitors only take 1 hour to get to Chengdu Panda Base. Other panda bases like Bifengxia Panda Base and Wolong Panda Base are much further than Chengdu Panda Base, which is the reason that this is the first choice of many visitors.
Chengdu Panda Base specializes in baby pandas and their according care, attracting tons of tourists. Moreover, Chengdu Panda Base is not only focusing on breeding baby pandas, but also provide educational tours, protection methods, documentaries about panda and interactive actives that combine the fun and the knowledge together.
Chengdu Panda Base was founded in 1987. It started with 6 giant pandas that were rescued from the wild. By 2008, it had 124 panda births, and the captive panda population has grown to 83.
Also, there is an essential museum which is the world’s only museum focusing entirely on the critically endangered giant panda. The full ticket of Chengdu Panda Base is 58 RMB per one. Visitors could get a discounted price at 29 RMB as juveniles, students, and high school and primary school student groups. For adult groups, the ticket price is 53 RMB. It is free for kids under 6 years old, under 1.3m, and the elderly over 70 years old.
What to See in Chengdu Panda Base
While taking a panda tour in Chengdu Panda Base, there are many highlights to see. First of all, visitors can see those adorable pandas wandering in the base.
Secondly, there are some museums like Giant Panda Museum and Giant Panda Scientific Mystery Museum inside the base. Visitors could watch some documentaries and learn the history about panda. Displays of books about panda, literature about panda, panda habitat and pictures of panda in different times give visitors a comprehensive education about how they lived and changed in these years.
Owing to the museums, visitors would have a systematic knowledge about panda’s characteristics, habitat and distribution in the wild, the conservation and breeding efforts.
You can see some giant panda specimens, fossils and dissected pandas in the giant panda museum. Some large true-to-life exhibits of pandas in the natural wild forest covering an area of 300 square meters shows the living status of panda in the ancient times and the endangered present in western China like Qin Ling, Min shan and Liangshan Mountain.
How to Get to Chengdu Panda Base
Most cities in China have direct flight to Chengdu. After arriving at Chengdu Shuangliu International Airport, you can take the shuttle bus to the center of the city at a price of 10 RMB and get off and Jinjiang Hotel.
Then you could transfer to the subway or bus or taxi to where you live. Taking a taxi at the airport to the city costs 100 RMB.
From Chengdu downtown to Chengdu Panda Base, you should take the public bus No.1, 49, 53, 63,64,69,71, 83 to Qinglongchang Bus Station and transferring to bus No. 198 or 87 to Chengdu Panda Base which costs you 5 RMB and 1.5 hour.
Taking the taxi to Chengdu Chengdu Panda Base costs you 30 RMB and within 1 hour depends on the road condition.
It costs you 3 RMB and 20 minutes to taking the subway Line 3 to Panda Base stop costs you. You need walk for 15 minutes before you arrive at the base.
Panda Tour Travel Tips
- It is suggested to go to the base before 8:30 in the morning when you can see more vivid adorable pandas because after the lunch most of the pandas would go to rest in the rest room which makes it hard to see them outside the door.
- The restaurants are only located at the entrance of the base, and there is no food or snacks available inside the base. You need to bring some snacks like cookies for yourself since the tour always costs 3-4 hours.
- It is not allowed to hold a panda taking picture nor touch pandas in Chengdu Panda Base. So if you are willing to join the Panda Volunteer Activity, please contact Dujiangyan Panda Valley or Wolong Panda Base.
- There are 2-day and 3-day program for visitors. You can take care of pandas by cleaning their closures, dumps, learning their habits, tracing wild pandas and taking photos with a panda within your arms.
- Follow the staff and behave yourself especially when you are close to pandas. They are cute but they are still bears.