Chipotle lovers, rejoice! This is the copycat recipe of all copycat recipes for the most mouthwatering meat that you can stuff in a burrito — Barbacoa! It took me a moment to break out of my usual order (steak burrito) to give barbacoa a try, but when I did … it was love at first bite!
Barbacoa is a slow cooked beef marinated with fresh garlic, Chipotle peppers, Adobo and a blend of seasonings and spices. The copycat recipe isn’t all that complicated, and the best part is that you can cook it in a slow cooker … so all the yummy flavors of the barbacoa can meld together when you do other things during the day. I use this recipe to make my own copycat Chipotle burritos, but it’s also great on salads, or even as a main course with veggies. This recipe makes a large portion of barbacoa, so make sure to freeze the excess for days when you need a burrito fix.
Copycat Chipotle Barbacoa Recipe
- 4 lb Chuck Roast, trimmed of excess fat
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 1 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 tsp Minced Garlic
- 4 tsp Cumin
- 3 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Ground Cloves
- 1 tsp Kosher Salt
- 4 Chipotle Peppers (from canned Chipotles in Adobo Sauce)
- 1 tbsp Adobo Sauce (from canned Chipotles in Adobo Sauce)
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1/4 cup Lime Juice
- To make the sauce combine vinegar, lime juice, chipotle peppers, Adobo sauce, garlic, cumin, oregano, black pepper, salt and cloves in a blender or food processor on high speed until smooth.
- Cut meat into 6-8 pieces.
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Sear all sides of the meat to get a nice crust.
- Place meat in slow cooker.
- Cover with with sauce from blender.
- Pour in chicken broth and add bay leaves.
- Cover and cook 5 hours on high (or 8 hours on low).
- Remove the bay leaves.
- While still in the slow cooker, shred the meat with two forks and turn the heat to low and allow to cook for 1 more hour.
- Serve with your favorite burrito toppings!