How are you celebrating the holiday?
My family is grilling out by the pool. We’re having BBQ chicken, corn on the cob, macaroni and cheese and of course, snacks!
Snacking doesn’t have to be a diet-buster this holiday-the mac ‘n cheese is taking care of that! Frito-Lay sent me a few healthier and hearty snacking tips to share with you to keep the calories on the DL. 🙂
1) Dip’ilicious – Dips are a great way to creatively integrate veggies into a healthier diet, and with just three simple ingredients, many of Frito-Lay’s snacks are a perfect compliment for that extra crunch!
· Dip into Sabra Hummus or Tostitos Salsa. Use Fritos Corn Chips – they’re made with just corn, vegetable oil and salt!
· Couple up Lay’s Classic Potato Chips – made with just potatoes, all-natural oils and salt – with this fresh Cucumber Dip:
1 cucumber, shredded
1 cup nonfat, plain Greek yogurt
1 tsp garlic, minced
Salt to taste
Lay’s Classic® Potato Chips
Mix cucumber, yogurt and garlic together in a small bowl. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Serve with Lay’s Classic potato chips.
BONUS: You can also use these dips as a healthier way to jazz up your burger and brat toppings — great substitutes for mayo and BBQ sauce!
2) Whole Grains – We’re all trying to incorporate more whole grains into our diets, but not everyone knows how. Here are some easy ways to make whole grain a hit at your party:
· When serving up your dogs and burgers, choose whole grain buns – they’re just as delicious and a great way to sneak in those whole grains.
· When it comes to chip crunching, try a side of SunChips multigrain snacks, with 18 grams of whole grains in every one ounce serving.
· If you’re into dipping, try pairing Tostitos Scoops! tortilla chips, which have 8 grams of whole grains in every one once serving, with this Chipotle Salsa for a vitamin-rich snack:
¼ cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
3 tbsp lime juice
1 ½ tbsp chipotle chilies chopped
1 ½ tsp ground cumin
1 jar Tostitos® Salsa
1 bag Tostitos® Scoops! Tortilla Chips
Mix together first five ingredients. Chill before serving with Tostitos tortilla chips. Garnish as desired.
3) Downsize Your Dish – When sitting down to enjoy your barbecue, swap your 12-inch plate for a 10-inch plate—you’ll have less space to pile on the calories. Aim to fill half your plate with vegetables, a quarter with whole grains and a quarter with lean protein (meat, chicken, fish, shellfish). Remember to study the back of your Frito-Lay chip bags to take the guess work out of portion control.
Win a 4th of July Party Pack from Frito-Lay
Includes this patriotic chip and dip plate and plethora of Frito-Lay snacks!
Leave a comment letting me know- What is your favorite snack? (required)
1. Subscribe to my feed (1 entry)
2. Follow me on twitter @MommyMusings (1 entry)
3. Tweet about the contest (just click on the twitter bird below this post- May be done daily, 1 extra entry per day)
4. Blog about the contest, leave comment with a link to your post. (10 extra entries)
5. Add my button (can be found at right —>) to your blog sidebar or blogroll. Leave a comment with your website. You may also add just a text link if you do not want to add the button. (10 extra entries)
Contest ends Sunday July 11th, 2010. 1 winner will be chosen at random. US only please.
**Valid comments will be rescued from SPAM**
Frito-Lay is supplying me with some snacks for my holiday party. No other compensation was received.