The Mayan Calendar has come to an end, and guess what? … We’re still here!
I can’t think of a better way to celebrate — “It’s Not the End of the World” — than with decadent Mayan cupcakes made with Cool Whip frosting.
Yes, you heard me– COOL WHIP Frosting!
Since the Mayans used cocoa beans as their primary source of currency (and thought it to be a gift from the gods), it shouldn’t be a surprise that the base of this cupcake is a blend of chocolate, chili powder and ground cayenne pepper. The frosting is a mix of chocolate Cool Whip frosting and cinnamon — another Mayan favorite.
The great thing about this recipe is that it’s super easy and delicious … they’re quite possibly the best cupcakes that I have ever made! The blend of chocolate and spices work surprisingly well. The heat is not overwhelming; it’s just enough that you know that this isn’t your ordinary cupcake
Mayan Cupcake Recipe
1 Box Devil’s Food Cake Mix (or a basic chocolate cake recipe if making homemade)
1 Cup Water (or amount indicated on box of cake mix)
1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil (or amount indicated on box of cake mix)
3 Large Eggs (or amount indicated on box of cake mix)
1/2 teaspoon Chili powder
1/2 teaspoon Red Cayenne Pepper
- Preheat the oven to temp. indicated on cake mix.
- In a large bowl, stir together cake mix, water and oil. Do not add in eggs! Mix in chili powder and cayenne pepper. Taste the batter– you should get a kick of heat. Add more cayenne pepper or chili powder if desired … I did! Once the batter is to your liking, add in eggs and stir.
- Pour batter into cupcake liners and bake for the recommended time. Once cooled, top with chocolate-cinnamon Cool Whip Frosting Recipe.
Chocolate-Cinnamon Cool Whip Frosting Recipe
1 Tub of Cool Whip Chocolate Frosting
1 Tablespoon Ground Cinnamon (or to taste)
- Take Cool Whip Frosting out of the freezer one hour in advance or place in the fridge for four before you are ready to use.
- Mix one tub of Cool Whip Frosting with 1 Tablespoon cinnamon.
- Distribute evenly on top of Mayan Cupcakes.
The result will blow your mind– it’s that good! The Cool Whip Chocolate Frosting is super easy to spread since it’s whipped, and it tastes delicious. The cinnamon really gives it a nice flavor that goes perfect with the Mayan cupcakes!
Nom, nom, nom.
In addition to chocolate, Cool Whip Frosting comes in vanilla and cream cheese flavors, too. To learn more about Cool Whip, including more recipes and coupons, “Like” them on Facebook.
One lucky Mommy Musings reader will win a Cool Whip Frosting “Reasons to Celebrate”gift pack valued at $100 which includes: 3 free product coupons (Cool Whip Frosting can be found in the freezer aisle), Heart shaped silicone cake mold tray, Baking by Flavor Recipe book by Lisa Yockelson, Cupcake Liners (designs), Stainless Steel Cake Icing Spatula by MIU and a Cake Stand plus Cover Set.
I received a gift set in exchange for sharing my recipe using Cool Whip Frosting. All opinions are my own.