I don't even know if there are words to describe the awesomeness of the She Crab Soup from the Sea Captain's House Restaurant in Myrtle Beach, SC. It's just that good — like lick the bowl clean good.
What makes She Crab different than most chowders is the omission of potatoes, or any other veggie for that matter, and the addition of sherry. It's a warm, velvety combination that highlights the fresh crab meat in the most decadent, (and delicious!) way possible.
As soon as I returned home from my trip, I rushed to Google for the award-winning recipe — to my surprise, Sea Captain's House has made their famous She Crab Soup recipe freely available ... no copycat recipe needed! ENJOY!
Sea Captain’s House She Crab Soup Recipe
Ingredients yields 1-gallon
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 cup clarified butter
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 and 1/2 quarts half-and-half
- 1 quart heavy cream
- 1 and 1/2 tsp. ground mace
- 1 cup sherry, good quality
- 1 pound fresh white crab meat, must be good quality
- salt and pepper to taste
- In large stockpot, cook onions in butter until soft.
- Add flour, reduce heat to low, stirring constantly for 15 minutes.
- Add milk products and continue stirring.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Drizzle sherry on top of each portion when ready to serve.
Sea Captain's House Restaurant
3002 N Ocean Blvd, Myrtle Beach, SC
Closet thing to Heaven, in Myrtle Beach, SC
Amen, sister! So good I feel like I’m cheating on my husband!
Is the flour amount right? 2 cups? Thanks. Jennifer
2 cups seems crazy!
I went back over recipe. 2 cups flour could be correct as there is 1 cup butter too. That would make sense then to me...
Yes, it's a larger portion of soup and it's thick and creamy! I hope this helps 🙂
Way too much flour. Did I do something wrong? I kept adding extra half and half, then milk, and it just never seemed to thin out enough to be good. After all the extra liquid, there wasn’t enough crab. So disappointed.
Do you have. Sodium count for cup of Sea Captain s she crab soup?