Summer is prime vacation time. It’s also prime time for home burglaries, which is why you need to take steps to keep your home secure while you’re away. You can get a home security system, such as an ADT Home Alarm, which can give you great peace of mind. Usually just the ADT sign in front of your home is enough to deter most would-be thieves.
However, there are other, more proactive ways you can protect your home from break-ins while you’re off enjoying your hard earned vacation:
1. Keep Quiet! You need to RESIST the urge to update our social media status when we’re going on a vacation. Sadly, even people at funerals are being targeted because the thieves are now reading the obituaries. Never post your vacation plans online because not everyone who reads your status is your friend.
2. Lighting. Put your inside and outside lighting on timers. These are inexpensive and can be found at the local home store. Get one that has multiple settings, because regular light activity is a give-away that you’re not home. Really, these are so affordable that you can use several in various parts of the house in order to mimic natural family activity.
3. Trusted Allies. Enlist the help of those you trust to collect your mail and check on your home. Yes, your family and friends love you, so they’ll do this for you. Ask the neighbors to keep an eye on the house and call the police if they see any suspicious activity.
4. Authorities. Many police departments have a “vacation list” that you can be placed on so they know you’re not home. If they see any suspicious activity, they know to act immediately. With an alarm system, this is a great back-up.
5. Triple Check! Make sure that your doors and windows are locked COMPLETELY. Walk around outside and try to think like a thief. Are there bushes to hide behind? Is there anything thieves can climb on to get to an upstairs window? Is the alarm set? Is the garage secure? Are the blinds shut so no one can see in?
Given today’s technology, there’s no reason why you can’t have an alarm system to protect your home in addition to taking your own measures. You can look up ADT Home Alarm information to consider your options. It’s more important than ever, since thieves are more resourceful than ever.