This post is brought to you by Pompeian as part of the #PantryInsiders program. All opinions are my own.
Did you know that May is National Salad & Vinegar Month!? While the month is winding down, salad and vinegar are both summer staples in my home because they bring the light and fresh flavors I crave when the temperature rises.
One of the most basic dressings I use on all of my salads is homemade Red Wine Vinaigrette, made simply with Pompeian Red Wine Vinegar, Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil and a dash of salt and pepper. Here's the recipe:
Red Wine Vinaigrette Recipe
- 1/3 cup Pompeian Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 cup Pompeian Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Dash each of salt and pepper
- Add red wine vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and salt and pepper in a mason jar.
- Screw on lid and shake vigorously until blended.
- Use immediately or store in refrigerator until use. Vinaigrette keeps for about a week.
I love having this dressing on hand because the flavors lend perfectly with so many salads and vegetables. It's even great for a marinade with some extra herbs and spices added in.
The other day I was making flatbread pizzas for lunch when I remembered I had a fresh batch of Red Wine Vinaigrette that was waiting to be used. When you're cooking with artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, black olives, mozzarella and sauteed garlic ... red wine vinegar and olive oil become a perfect compliment to the Italian flavors — but the catch was I wasn't, initially, making a salad.
And then it hit me: Flatbread Pizza Salad - the best of both worlds!
Italian Flatbread Pizza Salad Recipe
- 1 piece of pita, naan or flatbread
- 1 tablespoon pizza sauce
- shredded mozzarella cheese (desired amount)
- sliced black olives (desired amount)
- quartered artichokes (desired amount)
- sun-dried tomatoes (desired amount)
- sliced baby bella mushrooms (desired amount)
- 3-4 sauteed garlic cloves
- handful of fresh arugula
- 1 tablespoon Pompeian red wine vinaigrette
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Assemble flatbread pizza by adding pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese and then adding desired amount of artichokes, black olives, sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms and garlic. For garlic, simply saute whole garlic cloves in olive oil for 3-4 minutes.
- Bake pizza in oven for 10 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned.
- Add handful of fresh arugula to cooked pizza and drizzle with Pompeian red wine vinaigrette.
- Slice and serve! Nom!
How do you use red wine vinegar?