This Mexican Corn Cake recipe works well as a side for Mexican dishes or scooped as a topping for chili— it's also just sweet enough to be eaten as a dessert! At less than $2 for all of the ingredients, sweet corn cake is an easy and inexpensive alternative to cornbread.
Cornbread is one of my weaknesses— but only when it has a hint of sweetness! I think that's the reason I became obsessed with Mexican Corn Cake the first time I had it at a local Mexican restaurant. Now, I have no idea if Mexican Corn Cake, also known as Sweet Corn Cake or Tamalitos, is authentic in any way to Mexican cuisine, but I can tell you it's absolutely delicious and pairs perfectly with spicy, flavorful foods.
My mom actually inspired this easy version of Sweet Corn Cake from a cornbread casserole recipe she used to make. The secret ingredient is the Jiffy cornbread mix. I've tried it with other cornbread mixes (even ones from scratch!) and it just isn't the same— you have to use Jiffy!
Jiffy Corn Cake Recipe
Corn Cake Ingredients:
- 1 15 oz can Sweet Cream Corn
- 1 box of Jiffy Cornbread Mix
- 1 stick of butter, melted
How to Make Mexican Corn Cake
1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare a 9x5 loaf pan by spraying with cooking spray, or lightly greasing with oil. Set aside.
2. Empty the contents of the can of Sweet Cream Corn, Cornbread Mix and the melted stick of butter into a medium bowl. Mix to incorporate the ingredients.
3. Pour the mixture into the prepared loaf pan, and place in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown. The corn cake will remain soft in the center after baking, but should not contain any liquid.
4. Use an ice cream or cookie scoop to serve the sweet corn cake.
- 15 oz can Sweet Cream Corn
- 1 box Jiffy Cornbread Mix
- 1 stick of butter melted
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Prepare a 9x5 loaf pan by spraying with cooking spray, or lightly greasing with oil. Set aside.
Empty the contents of the can of Sweet Cream Corn, Cornbread Mix and the melted stick of butter into a medium bowl. Mix to incorporate the ingredients.
Pour the mixture into prepared loaf pan, and place in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
Use an ice cream or cookie scoop to serve the corn cake.
Pin This Recipe:
Amazing! Thanks you made our day. My family is so happy. I’m a hero!
Okay so I actually did not have canned cream corn and instead made some from scratch for the recipe. However I feel like it made it not work out and have too much butter in there. So just a fair warning to anyone I'm not sure that this recipe will work with fresh cream corn as is. I think next time I will try half the butter of I use fresh creamed corn. Thank you for the easy base recipe though!
So you gave this recipe 3 stars because you DIDN'T follow the recipe to the letter and it didn't come out like you thought it would? How could you even know what you're looking for if you don't follow the recipe to see how it is intended? Why would you post a review if you didn't even take the time to make it as it was stated? So irritating.
I made a “quick version” of creamed corn, can of corn or thawed or fresh corn in the blender pulsed to desired consistency and then added two tablespoons of cream! And then I put the 9x5 loaf pan in a bigger Pyrex for a water bath. Someone else posted a recipe similar to this one except with the shortcut creamed corn! Also check on it sooner than 25 min, it’ll change depending on your environment.
Instead of a loaf pan could I use a muffin or cupcake pan? Use a liner???