The summer has brought us an abundance of fresh fruit, with strawberries, blueberries and cherries currently in season. I try to take advantage of the good deals, especially on strawberries, which can go as low as $1 per pound, but often don’t know what to do with the excess, other than to freeze it.
Recently I came across the idea of making my daughter some homemade snacks, including fruit roll ups. The concept sounded completely crazy at first, but them I gave it a go and was impressed with the results. These Homemade Fruit Roll Ups have only as much sugar as you put in them (other than the natural sugar in the fruit) and can be made in a variety of flavors. Kids love them because they resemble “fruit by the foot”.
Homemade Fruit Roll Ups Recipe
- 3 cups fresh fruit (I used strawberries)
- Sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet that has a lip with plastic wrap (be sure to overlap your sides).
- Puree fruit in food processor until smooth.
- Add sugar (or sweetener of choice) to taste.
- Pour mixture on to prepared cookie sheet about ⅛" thick.
- Bake for 6-8 hours, until center is no longer tacky.
- Lift plastic wrap out of cookie sheet and place on the countertop to cool.
- Flip over onto parchment paper.
- Remove plastic wrap.
- Cut into strips and roll. Store in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator.