We're right smack in the middle of summer, and if this season's weather is a trend -- it's going to remain HOT!
Summer is typically the time for outdoor games and activities, but if you're not in or near the water, the heat this year has been unbearable. So what's a parent to do? Find fun stuff to do indoors -- that's what!
Here are five indoor activities that parents can do with their kids
1. Build a Volcano! - What kid doesn't want to build a colossal mountain made of paper mache? The best thing about this project is that it takes a lot of time. Start with an empty soda bottle, and build around it using strips of newspaper, dipped in a solution of flour glue and water. Then, once it's painted and time to erupt, get the lava flowing with a mixture of baking powder, red food coloring and vinegar. Full instructions are here.
2. Melted Crayon Art!- This craft was hot on Pinterest month ago, but now it's really hot enough for the crayons to melt on their own outside! Attach (with glue) a box of 64 Crayola crayons across the top of a blank canvas, with the tips facing town. Take canvas outside and leave standing upright in the direct sun. Then -- go inside and wait! If the sun isn't hot enough (ha ha!), you can do the craft entirely indoors and melt the crayons with a hairdryer.
3. Go to the Movies! - Who says you have to stay at home!? Hitting the movie theater is a great escape for both children and adults. This summer's film release schedule has been a good one, with movies suitable for the family, including: BRAVE, Ice Age: Continental Drift, and The Amazing Spider-Man (for older kids). Some cinemas even offer discounts on children's tickets!
4. Bake Something! Assuming you have AC, there's nothing more fun to a kid than baking a giant chocolate chip cookie cake! The memories of being in the kitchen with mom (or dad!) last a lifetime 🙂
5. Make Popsicles! If it's just too hot for baked goods, make the alternative -- icy cold popsicles! Whether you use super cool Tovolo molds, or paper cups with sticks, try to focus on using fresh in-season ingredients, like strawberries, blueberries and peaches. There are some great combos out there, and this is the time to experiment! Try these Fruit Cocktail Popsicles if you're craving something sweet.