This Ground Pork Stuffed Tomatoes recipe is a healthy spin on meatloaf and an easy dinner idea for your family.
I was experimenting in the kitchen the other day and came up with a delicious alternative to both stuffed peppers and meatloaf. I had a pound of ground pork that I needed to use, and after foraging through the fridge for compatible ingredients, I came across some plump and juicy tomatoes — then it just clicked! I added those with purple onions and red, orange and yellow bell peppers from the crisper and came up with a flavorful pork meatloaf type mixture, stuffed and baked in hollowed-out tomatoes. Tip: use a melon baller to scoop tomatoes!
I already wish there were more of these pork stuffed tomatoes leftover because the flavors were incredible. The tomatoes hold up just as well as bell peppers do when baked, and the rainbow of colors makes me feel good about what I’m feeding my family. This ground pork stuffed tomatoes recipes is so delicious that even picky kids will be asking for more!
Ground Pork Stuffed Tomatoes Recipe
- 6 medium tomatoes
- 1 lb lean ground pork
- 1 small red onion
- 2 teaspoon garlic minced
- 1/4-1/2 cup chopped bell peppers colors of choice
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg. beaten
- 2 tsp chopped parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut tomatoes in half and scoop out centers into a bowl.
- Place hollowed tomatoes on a baking pan and set aside.
- Chop tomato centers from the bowl.
- Peel and finely dice the onion.
- Place a little olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat and begin to cook pork.
- Add diced onion, minced garlic, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes to ground pork.
- Cook and stir until meat is no longer pink.
- Add bell peppers and diced tomato centers and cook for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add beaten egg and bread crumbs, mixing well.
- Fill tomatoes with skillet contents.
- Place tomatoes in the oven for 40-45 minutes until tomatoes are tender.
To get all those veggies the perfect size dice, I used the 8″ chef knife from my new Calphalon Self-Sharpening Cutlery set. Because ceramic sharpeners are built into the slots of the stainless steel part of each storage block, each blade automatically sharpens with every use— ensuring that I always have a sharp knife every time one is removed or replaced!
This feature is called SharpIN Technology and it automatically sharpens at the correct angle for long term use. The Calphalon knives are made from high-carbon, no stain forged stainless steel and feature full tang construction and a comfortably balanced, triple-riveted handle.
Want to make Ground Pork Stuffed Tomatoes? You might find these useful:
Other recipes you might like:
- Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- Sheet Pan Chicken Fajitas
- Mexican Stuffed Peppers
- Southwest Quinoa Salad
- Mexican Buddha Bowl
- Taco Stuffed Bell Peppers
I participated in an Influencer Activation on behalf of Influence Central for Calphalon. I received product samples and a promotional item to thank me for my participation.