Valentine's Day is a completely commercial holiday— but that's one of the reason why I love it so much! Any occasion that encourages sentimental notions, love, affection, romance and chocolate consumption is OK by me.
To show my husband and daughter how much I heart them this February 14, I'm going to start the day with a special Valentine's Day themed breakfast. What I love about these True Love Pancakes is how easy they are to make. All you need is a heart-shaped cookie cutter, a few drops of red food coloring, and your favorite pancake recipe (my fave is posted below) ... you can even use a box mix!
True Love Pancakes Recipe
Ingredients (makes 8-12 pancakes, depending on size)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¼ cups milk
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (can sub vegetable oil or butter)
- 1 ½ cups All-Purpose Flour
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- red food coloring
- heart-shaped cookie cutter
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and milk until foamy. Stir in coconut oil (if coconut oil is solid, heat for a few seconds in the microwave until liquid — room temperature).
- In a separate bowl, mix dry ingredients together until evenly distributed.
- Combine dry mixture into wet mixture; whisk thoroughly. For red-colored pancakes: remove half of pancake batter to a separate bowl. Stir in a a few drops of red food coloring, until desired color is achieved. Let both bowls of batter rest for 15-20 minutes. This would be a good time to heat up frying pan or griddle (medium heat).
- Drop ¼ cupfuls of batter onto the lightly greased griddle. Heat one side until bubbles begin to form and break, about 2 minutes; turn pancakes over and cook the until slightly golden, about 1 ½ to 2 minutes.
- Using heart-shaped cookie cutter, alternate cutting hearts out of both red and white pancakes. Replace white pancakes with a red shaped heart, and vice versa. Serve with your favorite sweet toppings ♥