If you have never tried creamed chipped beef you are missing out. This recipe is a classic dish that has been enjoyed by many generations. It's perfect as a side dish, or you can make it the main course. It's so good and very easy to make. Once you try this recipe we know that it will become a regular dish because it is comforting, tasty, and affordable!
Creamed Chipped Beef Recipe
I've heard this called many different things, including "S.O.S." which isn't a very kind name, but at the end of the day, all it comes back to is a combination of beef and gravy over toasted bread. It's tasty, comforting, cheap to make, and super easy.
Creamed chipped beef is a dish made from cooked, dried, and crumbled or chopped beef. The meat is usually boiled with milk to produce a sauce before thickening with flour or cornstarch; cream, butter, salt, and pepper may also be added. It is served on toast as an open-faced sandwich topped with the sauce it was cooked in.
Where Did Creamed Chip Beef Originate?
While it is unclear where creamed chipped beef originated, many claims say that Pennsylvania Dutch settlers were the first to make the dish. One of the original recipes for this dish called for boiled dried beef with sour cream and pan-fried potatoes, giving it a unique tangy flavor. This is still a very common recipe in the area where the Pennsylvania Dutch still lives.
It is a very popular meal at local diners and is a staple on diner menus. It is also commonly served in diners around the country. Creamed chipped beef is a classic dish that uses a very affordable piece of meat to make something wonderful. Everyone will be asking for this recipe after they try it once. You can serve it with toast or any type of buns. In addition to serving this over bread, you can also serve it over mashed potatoes or roasted potatoes.
What Cut of Meat is Used for Chipped Beef?
This version, and most, are made with dried beef. The most common way to prepare this dish is by using jarred beef. The beef sits in a jar and has been dehydrated for several days. It is then ground into flakes, making it easy to prepare this dish on any occasion. If you can not find the jarred or bagged dried chip beef, you can also make it with regular ground beef or shaved sirloin. Other versions of creamed chipped beef may include using grocery store deli meat such as shaved sirloin or freshly cooked and dried beef.
What Bread is This Best With?
Creamed chipped beef is traditionally served on toast. Most often it is served over whatever bread you have around. Oftentimes, this is a simple white sandwich bread that is toasted. Other bread ideas are bagels, English muffins, or even dinner rolls. You can also try serving this chipped beef with biscuits.
This dish can also be eaten over mashed potatoes, roasted potatoes, or even over egg noodles. It's really something you can pour over any base starch. I have even seen some people use it over riced cauliflower.
What Should I Serve with Creamed Chipped Beef?
Creamed chipped beef can be served with many side dishes. This recipe is often served for breakfast in dinners. It is often served with eggs on the side. I think it would actually pair well with this egg in a basket recipe for breakfast. When you want to serve this for other meals, that are not breakfast-related, there are a lot of things that can be served with it.
- Steamed vegetables such as broccoli, green beans, and cauliflower go very well with creamed chipped beef.
- Other choices are roasted vegetables like these roasted brussels sprouts or sauteed vegetables.
- You can also try a salad with a little vinaigrette dressing. Something like this artichoke salad recipe might be a nice bright pairing with the beef and gravy over toast.
- Roasted potatoes and mashed potatoes can also be served with this dish. A lot of times the cream-chipped beef is served over the potatoes. Or you can serve with a sweeter side like these baked sweet potato wedges.
Whatever you choose it will be great because the main start of the meal will be this tasty and comforting entree.
How Can I Add More Flavor To This Recipe?
Yes, this is a pretty basic recipe with simple flavors that combine for a tasty meal. However, you can dress it up a bit and add more flavor with just a few additions. Turn a budget meal into a gourmet meal with simple changes! Below are some ideas I love!
- Roasted garlic is a good choice for this dish because it adds amazing flavor to the sauce. You can also just add additional garlic powder or fresh minced garlic if you prefer.
- Parmesan cheese is another great addition to creamed chipped beef that makes it more creamy and flavorful.
- Sauteed onions or bell peppers can add richness and really help the meal go a bit further.
- Frozen peas or cooked carrots added just at the end of the process can be a unique flavor and texture that is surprisingly tasty.
How Long is Creamed Chipped Beef Good in the Refrigerator?
Creamed chipped beef will last in the refrigerator for up to five days in a sealed container. You might need to add more milk to the sauce to bring the sauce back together. It might have thickened. You can keep it in the freezer for several months. If freezing this recipe, be sure to store it in an airtight freezer bag. Remove all of the air and store it flat.
What is Creamed Chipped Beef Made Of?
- Dried beef
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
Salt and pepper to taste
Handy Kitchen Tools
How to Make Creamed Chipped Beef
In a medium saucepan or deep skillet, over low heat, melt the butter.
Once the butter has melted, whisk in the flour to create a roux base for the sauce.
Add the garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
When the butter and flour are incorporated, begin whisking in the milk a little at a time until combined. Continuously whisk to prevent lumps.
Once all of the milk has been added, increase the heat to medium and cook, stirring regularly, until the mixture has thickened nicely, about 5 minutes.
Add in the beef then cook for an additional 2 minutes to heat through. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
Remove from heat, then toast bread. Once the bread has toasted, pour a generous helping of the creamed beef over the top and serve.
More Easy Recipes
If you are looking for more delicious food to add to your menu, check out some of our favorite comfort food meals below! Make sure to bookmark, print, or pin these recipes to add to your menu soon!
- Chicken and Stuffing Casserole Recipe
- Brown Sugar Meatloaf Recipe
- Baked Ziti with Mushrooms and Spinach
- Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups milk, warm
- 1 (8 ounce) jar dried beef
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 8 slices white bread
- In a medium saucepan or deep skillet, over low heat, melt the butter.
- Once the butter has melted, whisk in the flour to create a roux base for the sauce.
- Add the garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
- When the butter and flour are incorporated, begin whisking in the milk a little at a time until combined. Continuously whisk to prevent lumps.
- Once all of the milk has been added, increase the heat to medium and cook, stirring regularly, until the mixture has thickened nicely, about 5 minutes.
- Add in the beef then cook for an additional 2 minutes to heat through. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
- Remove from heat, then toast bread. Once the bread has toasted, pour a generous helping of the creamed beef over the top and serve.
Serve over your preferred toasted bread.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 289Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 620mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 11g