I don’t know about you, but I love party appetizers! It doesn’t matter what the occasion is, I’m always up for bite-sized party food— and if I’m being completely honest, the unhealthier the better! Parties are no time to count calories!
One of my favorite appetizer recipes is for Fried Macaroni & Cheese Bites — yes, you heard me. Fried Mac & Cheese … does it get any better than that!? These little balls of cheesy goodness take a bit of time to prepare, but the payoff is totally worth it! You can even use leftover macaroni and cheese!
Serve these babies at your next party, for the Big Game, Game Day or even as a special treat for the kids. I promise, your guests are going to love them!
Fried Macaroni & Cheese Bites Recipe
- 1 lb macaroni
- 16 oz sharp cheddar cheese block (or 16oz shredded)
- 1¼ cup milk
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 3 cups seasoned bread crumbs
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil (for frying)
- Boil macaroni until tender, drain and set aside. Shred cheese and set aside.
- In a large pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour and mix until light brown color (make a roux).
- Add 1 cup milk and whisk until thick.
- Add cheese one handful at a time. Mix until cheese is melted and smooth.
- Add cooked macaroni to pan and mix until well coated. Add salt and pepper.
- Transfer to a container and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until cold.
- Line a baking sheet with wax or parchment paper.
- Form cold macaroni and cheese into 1" balls and place on prepared pan. Place in freezer for at least 1 hour (overnight works well).
- Beat eggs and add ¼ cup milk in a bowl to make egg wash.
- Dip balls into egg wash then roll into bread crumbs, coating completely.
- Heat oil in deep fryer to 320 degrees, or fill skillet ½-3/4" deep and heat over medium high to 320 degrees.
- Fry 3-4 minutes, until golden, and drain. Serve immediately.