Did you know that you can make Homemade Fruit Roll Ups in your oven? It’s true! Make your own strawberry fruit leather (or fruit leather of choice) with two simple ingredients without a dehydrator.
Homemade Fruit Roll Ups
The summer has brought us an abundance of fresh fruit, with strawberries, blueberries, and cherries currently in season. I try to take advantage of the good deals, especially on strawberries, which can go as low as $1 per pound, but often don’t know what to do with the fresh fruit we don’t eat, other than to freeze it for smoothies.
Recently I came across the idea of making my daughter some homemade snacks, including fruit roll ups. The concept sounded utterly crazy at first, but then I gave it a go and was impressed with the results.
The great thing about homemade fruit roll ups is that they only have as much sugar as you put in them (other than the natural sugar in the fruit) and can be made in a variety of flavors.
My daughter’s favorite is strawberry fruit leather because it resembles the classic “Fruit by the Foot” lunchbox snack.
Strawberry Fruit Leather Recipe
Strawberry Fruit Leather Ingredients:
- 3 cups fresh strawberries (or fruit of choice)
- Sugar (optional)
- Baking sheet with a lip
- Food processor or blender
- Plastic wrap or silicone baking mat
- Parchment paper
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE FRUIT ROLL UPS WITHOUT A DEHYDRATOR
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Line a cookie sheet that has a lip with plastic wrap (be sure to overlap your sides).
3. Puree strawberries, or fruit of choice, in a food processor until smooth.
4. Add sugar (or sweetener of choice) to taste.
5. Pour mixture on to prepared cookie sheet about 1/8″ thick.
6. Bake for 6-8 hours, until the center is no longer tacky.
7. Lift plastic wrap out of cookie sheet and place on the countertop to cool.
8. Flip over onto parchment paper.
9. Remove plastic wrap.
10. Cut into strips and roll. Store in a Ziploc bag or airtight container in the refrigerator.
Can plastic wrap go in the oven?
Yes! I know it sounds crazy, but the plastic wrap goes in the oven for this recipe and does not melt. The oven temperature for fruit leather should not reach more than 170 degrees F, plastic wrap doesn’t start to melt until 220-250 degrees F. If you don’t like the idea of using plastic wrap, a silicone baking mat can also be used.
Homemade Fruit Roll Ups without Sugar
Though this fruit leather recipe calls for sugar, it’s completely optional. There are natural sugars in fruit and no additional sugar is needed to make homemade fruit roll ups. It’s all a matter of taste. I suggest tasting the pureed fruit before pouring it on the baking sheet. From there, add small amounts of sugar until you’ve achieved the desired flavor.
Homemade Fruit Leather Variations
This recipe uses fresh strawberries to make homemade fruit leather, but almost any fruit can be used to make fruit rolls ups. Blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, peaches, mangoes and kiwi are popular choices— You can even puree more than one fruit together to create endless fruit leather combinations. Additionally, honey or maple syrup can be used to sweeten the fruit leather and a squeeze of lemon can enhance the flavor.
How Long will Homemade Fruit Roll Ups Last?
Store homemade fruit leather in Ziploc bags or an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.
- 3 cups fresh fruit I used strawberries
- Sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
- Line a cookie sheet that has a lip with plastic wrap (be sure to overlap your sides).
- Puree fruit in food processor until smooth.
- Add sugar (or sweetener of choice) to taste.
- Pour mixture on to prepared cookie sheet about 1/8" thick.
- Bake for 6-8 hours, until center is no longer tacky.
- Lift plastic wrap out of cookie sheet and place on the countertop to cool.
- Flip over onto parchment paper.
- Remove plastic wrap.
- Cut into strips and roll. Store in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator.
Want to Make Homemade Fruit Roll Ups? You might find these useful:
More Back to School Recipes:
- Apple Shaped Cupcakes
- Back to School Rice Krispies Treats
- Banana Sushi
- Double-Decker PB&J
- Copycat Cosmic Brownies