Did you know that you can make Homemade Fruit Roll Ups in your oven? It’s true! Make your own Strawberry Fruit Leather (or other fruit of choice) with two simple ingredients.
The summer has brought us an abundance of fresh fruit, with strawberries, blueberries, and cherries currently in season. I try to take advantage of the good deals, especially on strawberries, which can go as low as $1 per pound, but often don’t know what to do with the fresh fruit we don’t eat, other than freeze it.
Recently I came across the idea of making my daughter some homemade snacks, including fruit roll ups. The concept sounded utterly crazy at first, but then I gave it a go and was impressed with the results.
These Homemade Fruit Roll Ups only have as much sugar as you put in them (other than the natural sugar in the fruit) and can be made in a variety of flavors. My daughter’s favorite is Strawberry Fruit Leather because it resembles “fruit by the foot.”
Homemade Fruit Roll Ups Recipe
Strawberry Fruit Leather Ingredients:
- 3 cups fresh strawberries (or fruit of choice)
- Sugar (optional)
How to Make Strawberry Fruit Leather:
1. Preheat oven to 170 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Line a cookie sheet that has a lip with plastic wrap (be sure to overlap your sides).
3. Puree strawberries, or fruit of choice, in a food processor until smooth.
4. Add sugar (or sweetener of choice) to taste.
5. Pour mixture on to prepared cookie sheet about 1/8″ thick.
6. Bake for 6-8 hours, until the center is no longer tacky.
7. Lift plastic wrap out of cookie sheet and place on the countertop to cool.
8. Flip over onto parchment paper.
9. Remove plastic wrap.
10. Cut into strips and roll. Store in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator.
- 3 cups fresh fruit I used strawberries
- Sugar optional
Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
Line a cookie sheet that has a lip with plastic wrap (be sure to overlap your sides).
Puree fruit in food processor until smooth.
Add sugar (or sweetener of choice) to taste.
Pour mixture on to prepared cookie sheet about 1/8" thick.
Bake for 6-8 hours, until center is no longer tacky.
Lift plastic wrap out of cookie sheet and place on the countertop to cool.
Flip over onto parchment paper.
Remove plastic wrap.
Cut into strips and roll. Store in a Ziploc bag in the refrigerator.
Want to Make Homemade Fruit Roll Ups AKA Strawbery Fruit Leather? You might find these useful:
Domino Pure Cane Sugar 4lb (Pack of 2)Hamilton Beach 12-Cup Stack and Snap Food ProcessorReynolds Kitchens Plastic Wrap (250 Square Foot Roll)Nordic Ware Natural Aluminum Commercial Baker’s Half Sheet
Other Back to School Recipes:
- Apple Shaped Cupcakes
- Back to School Rice Krispies Treats
- Banana Sushi
- Double-Decker PB&J
- Copycat Cosmic Brownies