Last minute gifts are my specialty and one of my favorites is this simple homemade brownie mix gift in a jar. This is the ideal choice for gifting to friends and family who love to bake or who enjoy a good bit of chocolate. With delicious fudgy brownies as the result, this recipe never fails to please the receiver! Below is a great tutorial and recipe to help you
Brownie Mix Gift in a Jar
I am a huge fan of food gifts. In fact, I am pretty sure at least half of the gifts that I give are either food related or food itself. So, it makes sense that I would love making brownie mix in a jar. It's the perfect gift for a chocolate lover, and since this recipe is a favorite due to being so easy, it's always a hit.
If you want more brownie recipes, you could do similar mixes using the basic dry ingredients for these copycat cosmic brownies and cherry cheesecake brownies. Of course, you can also do other dry mix gifts like these unicorn cocoa mix horns or just the fun reindeer cocoa mix gifts.
How Do I Make This Gluten-Free?
One problem people have with gifting a gift in a jar is allergy potential. While I mitigate this by asking my friends and family about any allergies or sensitivities, you can also update this to fit the needs of who will be receiving the gift.
To make this gluten-free, you can swap out the all purpose flour for your favorite one-to-one gluten-free baking mix. I prefer using Bob's Red Mill, but have also had great success with Bisquick gluten-free baking mix.
Other ways to update this mix to suit those who may have allergies is to use sugar substitutes and sugar-free chocolate chips for those who are diabetic and skip the nuts for anyone with a nut allergy.
How Should I Decorate My Jar?
Mason jar gifts are so easy to decorate! Below you can print your own little labels to go on the lids or front of the jar. You can also include ribbons, a simple square of fabric tied over the top lid, or even make your own customized labels. I also like the idea of tying a spatula or wooden spoon to the jar with ribbon.
What Goes in a Gift in a Jar for Brownies?
Below you will find a printable recipe with measurements per jar, but for convenience, here is the list of items you will layer in your brownie mix gift jar.
- Chopped nuts
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Brown sugar
- Granulated sugar
- Unsweetened cocoa powder
- All-purpose flour
You will need one 16 ounce jar per gift you are making. I prefer using mason jars but you can use any jar with a tight sealing lid. You can also use small Ziploc baggies and layer then seal tightly, but this isn't presented as nicely as when placed in a jar.
How to Make a Homemade Brownie Mix Gift in a Jar
In a clean mason jar, layer the measured ingredients starting with nuts, then chocolate chips, brown sugar, granulated sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, and flour.
Once layered, pack down the top gently and place the lid and seal on the jar.
Wipe off any excess flour or sugar on the outside of the jar.
Attach a label on top of the jar, add a cute ribbon around the neck, and place the directions on a note card or label for the receiver.
More Gift Ideas
If you want more fun ideas to share with your friends and family this year for the holidays, below are some of my favorites that are sure to please anyone. Whether you are making a simple DIY foodie gift or a decoration, it's the thought behind the gift that matters the most.
- DIY Reindeer Noses Treat Bag
- Fun Burlap Reindeer Banner and Gift or Storage Jar
- Easy Farm Truck Garland in a Jar Kit
- 1 mason jar
- 1/3 cup chopped nus
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- Measuring spoons and cups
- In a clean mason jar, layer the measured ingredients starting with nuts, then chocolate chips, brown sugar, granulated sugar, unsweetened cocoa powder, and flour.
- Once layered, pack down the top gently and place the lid and seal on the jar.
- Wipe off any excess flour or sugar on the outside of the jar.
- Attach a label on top of the jar, add a cute ribbon around the neck, and place the directions on a note card or label for the receiver.
Add to Brownie Mix
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 350F and line an 8"x8" baking dish with parchment paper or spray with nonstick spray.
- Mix dry ingredients from jar with wet ingredients until just combined.
- Spread into prepared 8"x8" baking pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toohpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Random Jars of Kindness Brownie Kit/for the Creation of 12 | Etsy
Brownie Mix in a Mason Jar Brownies Chocolate Chips Milk | Etsy
Mason Jar Cookie Mix Label. Editable Chocolate Chip Cookie | Etsy
Brownie Mix in a Jar | Etsy
Brownie Mix in a Jar Jar Brownies Christmas Brownies | Etsy
Mason Jar Brownie Mix | Etsy